Monday, July 2, 2018

SOCIAL MEDIA

For this weeks topic, I decided to make a new Twitter account. I chose to do this so I could view more on what is going on in the world without distractions with my friend's tweets or other retweets that really don't interest me at all. With that said the first account I chose to follow is @realDonaldTrump, I thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on what our president is up to and what he is thinking about for future decisions. The second account I chose to follow was @FoxNews, this also gives me the opportunity to be more involved with things going on in everyday life, as well as possibly seeing things that could affect me or that I could relate to in my life. I also chose to follow @espn, sports is something I'm very involved with in my life, and I enjoy keeping up to date with athletes nowadays.

A tweet that really tempted me to like it and/or retweet was a post by Fox News. It was a video taken from a rear view camera of a police car. The content was of a distracted driver in Georgia that completely disregarded the cop in front of him coming to a stop. The driver totaled the front of his car, as well as damaging the back of the officer's car. I thought this would be a good retweet to share with others to help them become more aware of what distracted driving can lead to!

I feel that social media has enhanced my ability to take action or participate in democracy and other activities due to the ability to make connections with people and others around the world. I fully believe this helps to get others more aware and involved with things that they can either relate to, find an interest in, or become aware of. Through social media, you can become inspired to make a change, or have a voice on certain topics that interest you. I think that this is an advantage of social media. In Sherry Turkel’s Ted talk “Connected, But Alone?” She states that online and social media is a connection to many people, and although she claims that it is not a real "conversation" these people have had with each other, it is still a form of not being alone. People become very comfortable online where they can share their ideas and feel that they have a voice that will be heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment